Sunday, September 4, 2011

Monday - June 27, 2011 - Beau's SPLASH

Today we decided that it was time to take one of the dogs to the boat since we have no idea how they are going to react to the new lifestyle.  We decided on Beau, our chocolate lab.  He rode quite nicely in the back of the truck.  He seemed really excited once he jumped off the truck.  New scents everywhere.  We finally walked down the dock to the boat and I boarded.  My fault, I should have put a leash on him.  We called him over and as he put his front paw on the deck, he lost his footing and fell into the river.  My heart stopped.  He has  never been swimming.  He paddled and paddled and seemed to be struggling.  I handed the boat hook to Harley but he couldn't reach Beau.  I started to panic.  Harley started taking of his boots and other things to jump in.  Just then, Steve (we call him "Turkey Island Steve"), pulled his little dinghy over and pulled Beau into the boat.  Just thinking about it again makes my stomach hurt. 

The day ended and we just packed up and went home.  The day was shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment